Your Choices


Getting into Universities in Hong Kong via Non-JUPAS with an American Associate Degree

Plan for family with budget of around HK$500,000 - Non-JUPAS with an USA Associate Degree

Study at an USA Community College for two years and apply back to any of the Universities in Hong Kong through Non-JUPAS with your Associate Degree and your GPA.  

Advantages - you will gain the exposure in an overseas environment while learning together with students from all over the world and the local American students

USA is the world’s most popular country for international students. Many of them choose to study at a Community College for some really good reasons as below.

1. It is cheaper than going to a university: higher education is expensive in the US. The tuition fees at Community Colleges are more affordable than going to university. On average the cost for Community College is less than half of taking an equivalent program at a public university. And private universities are usually even pricier.

2. It is easier to get accepted: Community Colleges use an open admission policy which means that anyone with a high school diploma. However, you will usually have to prove that your English level is good enough to attend and there might also be entrance exams in other subjects like Mathematics to determine which of the college’s courses that you can take. (*However, if you did not finish high school Litz would recommend taking a look at Community College in the Washington State which has a fantastic High School Completion+ program that gives you a High School Diploma from Washington State AND an Associate Degree in only two years!

3. Classes are small: while universities often give lectures to hundreds of students at a time Community Colleges normally work with much smaller classes. This will enable you to ask more questions and get more support from your teacher. While university professors combine research with teaching the professors at Community College usually focus 100% on teaching.

4. Try the American college experience: if you want a Gap Year after high school or if you don’t know what you want to study you can take one or two semesters at a Community College and experience College life in the US. Many colleges allow for study abroad semesters where you can pick the courses that you are interested in and try different subjects. Another option is to sign up for a short program like a Certificate or Diploma course.

5. Take a Bachelor’s Degree at a much lower cost:  Consider taking the first two years at a community college in US. It will be less expensive and it will be easier to get accepted. If you maintain good grades you can then transfer to a university and start directly on the third year in US in future. So you do the first two years at the Community College and the last two years at the University. In the end you get the same degree as if you would have done all four years at the university.

6. Same as above, the Non-JUPAS path: For family with a lesser budget, instead of transferring to a University in US which will cost a lot more, being a Hong Kong resident, you can apply one of the Universities in Hong Kong through the Non-JUPAS procedure.

Getting into HKU with an American Associate Degree via Non-JUPAS


Please refer Non-JUPAS admission requirements for individual university.